Paperback – August 15th, 2012
[maxbutton id="1" text="Paperback | $19.95" url="https://hugohousebookstore.com/product/gods-gloves-popups-ponies-paperback/"][maxbutton id="2" text="Ebook | $8.95" url="#"]
One mother with a teenage boy said “Gods, Gloves, Popups, and Ponies” was like a manual for her son! Baseball dazzles us with its complexity and beauty but also for its ability to mirror so much of the human spirit. The ups and downs of the game along with its style and grace have forever been a source of inspiration to baseball fans and especially to the young people of this country. Gods, Gloves, Popups, and Ponies explores the effect baseball can have on the development of a young man’s path to manhood. It is first about how a young man discovers what it means to be awakened from the fog of his adolescent life in his life-changing summer chasing the Pony League title in 1975. It then brings the story to the present moment as we learn how baseball can help shape a young man’s character as the young boy is now a coach and we are taken through a season with the high school-baseball players he helps guide and direct. Through his many years allowing the game of baseball to mold and define his character the author brings to us a rare look at just how powerful the lessons found on the field can be to the creation of outstanding young men.
Hardcover – October 4th, 2013
[maxbutton id="1" text="Hardcover | $49.95" url="https://hugohousebookstore.com/product/high-summits-370-famous-peak-first-ascents-significant-events-mountaineering-history-hardcover/"][maxbutton id="2" text="UPDF eBook | $19.95" url="#"]
A Rich and Compelling History of Mountaineering ….At Your Fingertips. High Summits is the result of over 30 years of research into the fascinating world of international mountaineering. An essential guide to mountaineering history, this year-by-year account spans all seven continents and dates from 450 B.C. through 2011. In it you’ll find everything from the monumental to the hard-to-find-trivia including:
- The most significant 370 Peak First Ascents as well as over 600 other types of first ascents on mountain faces and ridges.
- 345 detailed listings of major advancements in mountaineering gear, clothing, and climbing equipment.
- 171 references to the development of various climbing techniques on snow, rock, and ice.
- 58 hand-drawn maps and 57 carefully chosen photographs to accompany over 2,800 climbing events around the world.
- Appendices that include 17 unique mountain summit collections and the author’s ten most significant events in mountaineering history. Taken from expedition accounts, biographies and autobiographies, climbing journals and diaries, mountaineering museums, magazines and newspapers, films, documentaries, newsletters, and interviews,
High Summits is one of the most comprehensive studies of its kind. A must-have reference book for anyone interested in mountaineering, from the aficionado and weekend climber to anyone who just likes to read about the majesty and allure of climbing the most significant peaks in the world.
“Wolfe’s meticulous compilation of this much mountaineering history and lore into one volume is simply a stunning achievement that makes for an invaluable reference as well as an entertaining read.” Walter R. Borneman Historian and co-author of 100 Years Up High: Colorado Mountains and Mountaineers “Fred Wolfe’s exhaustive research teases out the details of mountaineering’s entire, worldwide history. High Summits is a reference I will always keep handy.” Phil Powers Executive Director American Alpine Club